Jon Galt on Sun, 10 Feb 2002 10:01:26 -0500

[PLUG] DSL "guaranteed" speed

Hello all,
  I've been wondering about this since friday, when everything I did on
the internet seemed slow.  The most noticeable thing was when I telnet to
a Solaris machine in Virginia.  (Yes I know, use ssh - but the company
that owns the machine doesn't support it, and I just don't consider it
secure, but everybody in the world knows this email address for me.)
  Anyway, it didn't seem to be just that one computer, because I tried
accessing other things, although I don't remember specifics now.
  I have seen people refer to DSL as having guaranteed bandwidth, as
compared to cable, which is essentially a neighborhood ethernet.  So the
question is, do I really have guaranteed bandwidth? Perhaps it was only
that lots of people use the internet on friday afternoons/evenings?

Wayne