Beldon Dominello on Sun, 10 Feb 2002 14:40:13 +0100

Fwd: Re: [PLUG] Comcast - notes on email

I keep trying to get this guy on the list because he'd be a great technical
asset.  Failing that, I'll just forward the useful things he sends.

Subject: Re: [PLUG] Comcast - notes on email
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 00:08:39 -0500
From: "Vince Bernardo" <itadaki_mouse@hotmail.com>
To: "Beldon Dominello" <beldon@speakeasy.org>

[snipetty snip snip snip]
Thanks!

Aside from the PLUG archives, I've also done searches on www.dslreports.com
using "broadjump" and "comcast broadjump" and on Google Groups using
"comcast broadjump" and "comcast inktomi".

Chillingly entertaining stuff -- well it would be if I wasn't on the shit
end of the Comcast stick.

What I've found so far:
#1: The Inktomi servers are there. They show up as black holes on a tracert.
If you try to access an IP restricted website, it fails and the site's
weblogs show attempted access from the Inktomi server addresses. User-Agent
headers reveal the nature of the servers as Inktomi Traffic-Servers.

#2: To switch from @Home to Comcast connectivity, simply set your NIC to use
DHCP [All previous settings such as gateway, DNS, etc should be ignored and
don't even have to be deleted. DHCP may still pick up hostname from you, but
probably not.]. If you use a DSL\Cable Gateway Router [mine's a Netgear
RT311] then set it there. DHCP is tied to your MAC address -- I had my
router spoof a different MAC address and sure enough I lost my WAN
connection, but a simple reboot of my modem and router fixed all that
[quickest way to release\renew DHCP lease].

#3: To switch @Home to Comcast.Net e-mail address, use your
username@home.com and change to username@comacst.net. Incoming POP3 is
mail.comcast.net. Outgoing is smtp.comcast.net [yes, they're different for
some reason]. Use the default password that Comcast sent to you via
mail\e-mail [I got it both ways.] Comcast is also sending automated messages
to customer phones reminding them to switch.

#4: You can safely extract the contents of the COMCAST.EXE switching
software by running it and aborting at the License Agreement section. All
files will have been extracted to C:\CHSI\ and you can poke around to your
heart's content. [I did -- interesting stuff, as in "Wow, a new incurable
strain of smallpox!" interesting. They've even incuded an internal release
document with some programmers' comments...and wait until you read Article 4
in the EULA. Crap, does anyone read this stuff? They should -- I did only
because I didn't trust Comcast and Broadjump.]

#5: As of 2/10/2002 I have LavaSoft's Ad-Aware with the RefUpdate utility
and Norton Anti-Virus with the latest Virus Signature Files. Neither raises
a flag when scanning the Comcast|Broadjump software. I've read reports of
ZoneAlarm picking up repeated attempts by "Support.com" or VT (Broadjump's
"Virtual Truck") to connect to the Internet at boot time and regular
intervals afterwards, but I'm not risking that to confirm it.

- Vince