eric@lucii.org on Sun, 10 Feb 2002 00:50:16 +0100

[PLUG] Comcast - notes on email

Well, there are some very good reasons to blow off Comcast and go
to DSL - unfortunately I cannot do that just now.

For those who are stuck on cable like me here is my experience with
their new "setup".

Comcast will send (or have sent) you a letter.  It says

                    "OPEN IMMEDIATELY"
"YOUR COMCAST INTERNET SERVICE IS CHANGING. IMMEDIATE ACTION
    REQUIRED TO MAINTAIN YOUR INTERNET CONNECTIVITY."

Inside, they tell you to download and install their software.
Then, you "double click" the "HSI" icon (High Speed Internet) and
your Microsoft Outlook is ready to use (barf).

I have an e-smith firewall/server.  I do all my mail with mutt
on a Linux workstation behind the firewall.
So, I don't want to use their spyware software.
I took the username (same as it was with @home) and the password
they provided me and put it in my .fetchmailrc file:

   poll mail.comcast.net via mail.comcast.net
    with proto POP3 and options no dns
          user 'username' there with password 'XXXXXX'
          is eric here warnings 3600
       antispam 571 550 501 554

(These are my settings... YMMV.)

I simply used mail.comcast.net for the address and it worked!

Outbound mail is unclear to me -  I believe that the dhcp client
will identify the SMTP server and qmail (on e-smith) should use it
just fine.  Time will tell... @home goes away Feb 28th.

Eric

--
#   Eric Allan Lucas
# "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth