aab on Sun, 10 Feb 2002 00:30:13 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Comcast "OPEN IMMEDIATELY" but don't

I *believe* they're now using the NetBIOS computer name AND the ethernet
address to assign IP addresses (nothing new there), but also only passing
traffic from IP addresses that match the ethernet address they used to
assign the IP address.

I ran through this problem with them this past week -- I connected a
network appliance that I have used before with @Home to get my new IP
address, then assigned that address to my LRP box and it wouldn't connect.
I reconnected with my Audrey and it was working.  Connected a W95 laptop
to the cable modem, assigned the same computer name, config'd it for DHCP
and still no address.  Put the same laptop back on the house network and I
get an address, so it is not my laptop that is messed up.  (A curious
detail - the Audrey would connect successfully at this point, but when it
was connected to my house network it would not request an address due to a
quirk in it's IP networking). Also, at this stage my cable modem would
only show a power light and a blinking receive light -- no other lit LEDs.

Called ComCast and explained the problem, they stated they don't support
networks, firewalls, Linux, etc.  (So?)  I persuaded the techsupport op to
flush out their information for my account, cable modem, devices, etc. and
waited a while (hours, actually ... I went to work and came back).  Upon
returning home, I found the cable modem was blinking acceptably and setup
a new LRP disk from the EigerStein images (including the dnscache, dhcpd
and dhclient modules).  Tweaked it a bit (I'm not done yet) and booted ...
and I am back online through my LRP box (and a different IP number than
earlier), plus with the dhclient module I should not have to go through
this again unless they pull another lame policy out of their asses that
somehow requires their foolish client software.

I'm only on cable while switching DSL providers, so I shouldn't have to
worry about this again with ComCast ... but I'm not impressed so far.

Good luck to you.
andrew.