gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:17:44 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Changing MACs

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 11:59:10AM -0500, Paul wrote:
> What if two people randomly choose the same MAC?  Won't that
> cause a conflict, similar to having an IP conflict?

It'll only cause a conflict if you happen to be on the same ethernet
segment. MAC addressing is only used on a "local" ethernet network.
It doesn't pass routers. Oh, so I suppose you don't want to be on
neighboring segments either. That would be a good way to *really*
confuse a router--broadcast arp yourself as a MAC addr already on
the other side. An intelligent implementation will ignore you. A
foolish implementation will break hardcore. I'd lay money that Cisco
routers do it right and Intel routers do it wrong. ;^>

The chances of running into someone else without doing it on purpose
are pretty slim.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net