Mike Leone on Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:20:15 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Fwd: CG: Windows XP warning

> > "Friends don't let friends use Windows ..."
> >
> > Uh, I have to say something good here.  Windows made low-cost, generic hardware profitable for manufacturers.  This is the hardware that many run Linux
> > on.  The alternative was more expensive, proprietary hardware made by Apple, Sun, etc., which is designed to run particular OSes.
>
> They don't make (much) hardware.

They don't have to make the hardware; they had to make an OS which would run on it. And the apps to go along with the OS.

> I thought that Compaq reverse engineered the proprietary hardware then
> sold it for less which opened up the cloning phenomenom. MS just rises
> their prices over the years, and people don't notice due to falling
> hardware prices.

I thought IBM released the specs to their first PC, and that's what started all the clones. That's why IBM tried to go the MCA bus route, to take it back to a proprietary setting.

> > What is important to me is that the hardware market, and the availability of both Windows and Linux, gives me the freedom to choose.
>
> Actually, if it were up to MS, Linux would be illegal. Balmer called the
> gpl, 'unamerican'.

So is provolone cheese. :-) Unamerican != illegal.. (maybe in Steve Balmer's head)

> What MS did do is make a lot of people buy more hardware to keep up with
> the steep upgrade cycle. I get hardware second hand.

That's what they do now; not always what they did then.