Beldon Dominello on Mon, 11 Feb 2002 21:50:27 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Help burning cd's

On Sunday 10 February 2002 22:44, you wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Here is the problem:  I just installed Suse 7.2 on a computer with a cd
> burner (Yamaha 16x10x40).  When windows was on the computer, I would use
> ezcdcreator to burn audio cd's.  I want to burn audio cd's now using Suse.
> On the KDE Desktop, both cd drives appear as icon's - (CD-ROM and CD-R
> (which is the burner)).  Am I correct in assuming the the install process
> recognized and configured my CD-R drive?  I went to the man page for
> cdrecord, but it made no sense to me.  I installed krecord, but it tells me
> I am missing programs in the path.  It is looking for cdrecord, cdparanoia,
> mkisofs, and cdda2wav.
>
> All I want to do is burn audio cd's, so can anyone step me through the
> process of getting this to work (as simply as possible, please).  Again, I
> assume everything is configured during the install - if not, I don't know
> how to configure it...

First off, install SuSE 7.3 which can automatically find and configure CD-RW
drives.  Then use X-CDRoast, which I have found works best and most reliably.

Failing that, there's a knowledgebase article on configuring CD-RWs on the
SuSE web site.  Also, even though it isn't a CDRW, you need to designate the
CD Reader as IDE-SCSI as well in order for most programs to use it as the
read drive.

The article is at:
http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/mkrapp_6.4_atapi-writer-e.html

I would seriously recommend moving to 7.3 because there's a bug in 7.2 that
sometimes sends the IDE-SCSI driver into an infinite loop on boot-up-- at
least, on my system it did.  I haven't had the problem since I went to 7.3.

Good luck!