Doug Crompton on Tue, 12 Feb 2002 00:26:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Comcast "OPEN IMMEDIATELY" but don't

Regarding the new Comcast.net....

  I visited a friend tonight. She was using Win2K on Comcast and had
installed the software (unfortunatley!)  She wanted to instead use her
Linux (Redhat) box as a firewall. It has 2 ethernets. I set one to the
192.198.x.x local network and the other DHCP to the Comcast modem.. ran
'dhcpcd', reset the Comcast box and away it went. I did use the
comcast supplied client ID in the DHCP command line...

dhcpcd -i <clientID> eth0

Works fine, but it seems slow to me! I would not pay all those bucks for
what I see!

 I won't go into details here. If anyone has any questions feel free to
ask. Bottom line is that it works fine. No need to install ANY comcast
software!!!  Either use Linux OR a cable router box as a front-end and run
winX like it just has a port to the internet.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *