Michael Leone on Tue, 12 Feb 2002 02:50:13 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Fwd: CG: Windows XP warning

On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 19:51, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Mike Leone wrote:
> > > I thought IBM released the specs to their first PC, and that's what
> > > started all the clones.
> >
> > Yes, that's true.  It's one of the reasons, if not *the* reason "IBM
> > compatibles" did so much better in the home computer market than
> > competitors.  IBM contracted with Microsoft to write the first OS for the
>
> I don't think so. I know that there were better machines for the same
> price. Wasn't the amiga better (gui + sound), cheaper, and it had dos
> emulation? I thought that the reason that the other models failed was due
> to inept business decisions and standardization. That is MS benefited from
> the size of IBM which was trusted at the time, "nobody gets fired for
> buying IBM (now it's MS)". So people bought, at home, what they had at
> work.

Even so .... it could have been some company other than MS (IBM
originally wanted DR-DOS). Whichever company IBM tapped had a better
than good shot to be THE company, due to IBM's (at the time) huge
influence in PCs as well as the openness of the original ISA bus. It
coulda been DR-DOS.

But it wasn't.

> MS didn't write the OS, they just resold other people's work.

Well, they *bought* the other people's work, so it was theirs to sell.