David Hull on Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:38:20 -0500

[PLUG] name resolution

Hey All-

    I'm having a bit of trouble configuring one of my linux boxes...
Here's the problem:  I can't seem to get it to resolve netbios names
into ip addresses.  What exactly controls this function?  This machine
has no problem connecting to the internet.  I can ssh to it from my
other linux box, but I have to use it's IP address.  Although the router
for our network is using DHCP, I have a reserved IP address for this
computer and the router recognizes it's name.  The computer shows up in
my workgroup (from a winblows machine) but if I try to click on it I get
the error message "network path not accessible".  So basically, the
computer is on my network and I can talk to it as long as I use the IP
address instead of it's name.  How can I get the network to resolve it's
name into an IP address?   Thanks all.

-d