Paul on Wed, 13 Feb 2002 00:00:18 +0100

[PLUG] freelance contracting

"What's the going rate ($/hour) these days for freelance consultancy in the Philly area?"

The company that I just separated from contracted for a maximum of $125 per hour, but I think they charged most companies $85 per hour.  They broke the hour down into 15 minute increments.  (That's what I really hated.  Writing up what I was doing all day in 15 minute increments.)

I once got paid $150 per hour as an independent consultant.  The keyword is "once".

Even though the pay is good for a consultant, I hate that kind of work.  I'd rather charge by the job instead of by the hour.  If you charge by the hour, there is always the feeling that it's not being done quick enough.  Justify your time type of crap.  Actually, I'd prefer being on a steady salary with 8 hours to dream up ways to make a better network.