Jarvis, John on Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:33:55 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Dual routing question

Kevin,

As soon as you put two NIC cards in box that box turns into a router.
So the short answer is you have to set route rules, luckily the kernel takes
care of this for you.

long answer..

In your case where you have a wireless connection and a normal ethernet
landline connection they will probably be on different networks so you
shouldn't have any problems.
for example:
eth0:  192.168.1.1
eth0:  192.168.2.1

Which ever network is your default route in the routing table will be the
one you use.

If the two are on the same subnet then the kernel will pick one of the
interfaces.. how it does it I believe is arbitrary.

for example in a class C network

eth0:  192.168.1.1
eth1:  192.168.1.2

If you disconnect one of these, the kernel won't necessarily "fail over" to
the second one.  Solaris has something called "network multipathing" that
takes care of this exact type of scenario.  I am not sure if there is an
equivelent in linux.

John