Jeff Dean on Thu, 14 Feb 2002 05:30:22 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Volunteer Opportunities

Absolutely, and this one's a great cause. I run IT for a K-8 charter school in West Chester. I'm also the President of the board of trustees. We run on a very tight budget, but have some projects left to do. In particular:

- Linux firewall rules
- Netopia router config
- Intranet
- PHP and Perl scripting (Intranet/Internet data xfer, php-nuke customization)
- Samba as PDC expertise (anyone know how to get rid of roaming profiles?)
- Samba smb printer configuration including driver downloads (print$ share)
- Win9x system policies
- Need to add a list server with web admin (mailman? Majordomo?)
- Implement webmin inside to free me from manual accounts stuff
- Samba/Linux password sync - even better - can I use LDAP for Samba instead of smbpasswd?

I also have an occasional problem with Samba killing my entire server, which is a *_very_big_deal_* since it's a relatively large Dell 6400 box (4xXeon700/1GB/9GB-RAID0/200GB-RAID5) running VMware (4 virtuals), Samba (PDC, WINS, Windows file server), Apache, dhcpd, etc.). I'm kind of stuck on upgrades, tho. I have modified the 2.6.2 (?) kernel that came with RH7.1 for VMware GSX server 1.0.1. Obviously both could be upgraded to potentially clear up my stability problem, but that's a lot of changes, and I'd rather wait till summer. Samba is up to date at 2.2.2. Also, I'd love to upgrade to ext3 (a lot less sweating!).

The firewall stuff is NAT-related. I'm using esmith, so anyone who's noodled around with one of those could be a great asset.

We also have some physical plant stuff and PC issues to take care of, and of course, no budget.

The school has about 640 students and 80 staff with around 320 Win9x PCs.

I can be reached at 610-476-9352 or jdean@ieee.org.

jd