eric@lucii.org on Wed, 13 Feb 2002 23:15:19 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Comcast news

Hey, my "moral" (you meant morale?) is unaffected... I'm too old to be
wounded by not having the "first post".

Ah, I see.  The earlier posting said:
>> Thanks to slashdot we also have this article
and I did not hit the link - thinking it was just a rehashing of what
we already knew.

And you are correct about the spyware - that's not even mentioned in
any of the news I saw.  I forget about that since I did not install it.

Eric

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 08:39:00PM -0500, christophe barbé wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 08:20:44PM -0500, eric@lucii.org wrote:
> >
> > For those following the "Who needs Big Brother... I've got Comcast"
> > news story, there's a new twist:
> >
> > Yahoo news is reporting that Comcast has announced that they will stop
> > tracking users.
> >
> > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020214/ap_on_hi_te/internet_privacy_23
>
> Sorry to hurt your moral but this news was already posted here (IIRC via
> a link to slashdot to a washington news).
>
> btw, I remember that two comcast parctices were discused here:
> . the mandatory proxy server which cache nothing (ie. which spy but
> doesn't improve the service provided to the user).
> . A spy software installed on the customer machine during the last
> upgrade (along the comcast logo in explorer).
>
> As far as I know only the first issue is supposedly solved.
> But even for the first issue, they never said that they will remove
> their proxy, they will just stop recording 'who did what' but they still
> have the hardware/software to do it and now you will not be able to
> notice if they decide to do it.
>
> Christophe

[[CUT]]

> --
> Christophe Barbé <christophe.barbe@ufies.org>
> GnuPG FingerPrint: E0F6 FADF 2A5C F072 6AF8  F67A 8F45 2F1E D72C B41E
>
> People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life.
> --Faith Resnick

#   Eric Allan Lucas
# "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth
#  And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings..
#              -- John Gillespie Magee Jr.