eric@lucii.org on Wed, 13 Feb 2002 20:22:48 -0500

[PLUG] Comcast news

For those following the "Who needs Big Brother... I've got Comcast"
news story, there's a new twist:

Yahoo news is reporting that Comcast has announced that they will stop
tracking users.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020214/ap_on_hi_te/internet_privacy_23

<ASIDE>
I love the internet for just this reason.
A sleazy operator like <fill in the blank> starts screwin' over people
just because they can get away with it.  The word gets out and spreads
like *wildfire* on the internet.  It gets picked up by larger media
outlets.  Pretty soon, the sleazy operator is backpedaling like a duck
at the precipice of Niagara Falls!

In the past, if the newspapers or TV news didn't report it then it
might take years to be revealed.

Sometime, if you are in a law library, look at a copy of the U.S. Code
prior to 1997.  In title 50, section 1520 you'll find a law, now
repealed, that allowed the U.S. Government to conduct chemical and
biological weapon experiments - ON CIVILIANS.  WITHOUT OUR KNOWLEDGE
OR CONSENT.  Word got around.  First it was in newsletters and emails.
Then, talk radio picked it up.  Pretty soon, it was *widely* known but
not in the "mainstream" media... yet.
Then, quietly, the 105th congress passed a law that repealed that
provision of the law.

Also, in testimony to Congress, the Army admitted to performing more
that 200 of these tests.

That's the ones they admitted to.

That's "just" the Army.

Eternal vigilence has gotten a little easier in the last decade
thanks to the internet.
</ASIDE>

Sic semper Comcast.

Eric

--
# Eric Allan Lucas
#     I know you're out there.  I can feel you now.