Chris Beggy on Thu, 14 Feb 2002 01:10:15 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Wouldn't a news service be more appropriate?

Rebecca Ore <rebecca@ogoense.net> writes:

> On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Chris Beggy  wrote:
>
>> Rebecca Ore <rebecca@ogoense.net> writes:
>> >
>> > Chris Beggy has done some mail to news gating, I think.  Don't know who else
>> > would interested in running a private hieararchy.
>>
>> I already gateway plug, for all of the reasons listed by Joe, and
>> the additional desire to avoid multiple subscriptions and to have
>> the option to auto-expire old messages.
>
> I'd have to rewrite my readers.conf but I'm half tempted to ask you for a feed of plug.*.

I'd like to get the OK from the list owning guys before I start
feeding, and at that, it might only be read-only.  They already
have to deal with lots of posts from unsubbed addresses, from
people who should know better.

>> > You might want to try Gnus for mail -- it can be set to expire mail just as
>> > though it was a news group.  (Don't ask me how -- I haven't set this up
>> > myself).  Mutt works well enough, though I have to thin things myself.
>>
>> gnus twists everything into newsgroups, including mail, slashdot,
>> folder search results, archives at mail-archive.com, and google
>> search results.  Gnus is proof that "if your only tool is a
>> hammer, every problem looks like a nail."
>
> Yeah, but I know that Russ Allbery and a couple of other people swear by it.
>
> Slashdot as a gnus hieararchy is fairly neat, just as boring but without the
> ads and slower than pure nntp.

I'm seconding your opinion!  I'm sorry that wasn't clear.  I
think gnus is fantastic, and could satisfy Joe's needs without
going to the trouble of setting up inn + mail2news.

Chris