christophe barbé on Wed, 13 Feb 2002 20:39:25 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Comcast news

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 08:20:44PM -0500, eric@lucii.org wrote:

> For those following the "Who needs Big Brother... I've got Comcast"
> news story, there's a new twist:
>
> Yahoo news is reporting that Comcast has announced that they will stop
> tracking users.
>
> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020214/ap_on_hi_te/internet_privacy_23

Sorry to hurt your moral but this news was already posted here (IIRC via
a link to slashdot to a washington news).

btw, I remember that two comcast parctices were discused here:
. the mandatory proxy server which cache nothing (ie. which spy but
doesn't improve the service provided to the user).
. A spy software installed on the customer machine during the last
upgrade (along the comcast logo in explorer).

As far as I know only the first issue is supposedly solved.
But even for the first issue, they never said that they will remove
their proxy, they will just stop recording 'who did what' but they still
have the hardware/software to do it and now you will not be able to
notice if they decide to do it.

Christophe