Gregory T. Weber on Thu, 14 Feb 2002 02:30:15 +0100

[PLUG] Home network advice

Warning:  I don't know much about networking yet so some of what follows may
sound stupid or not make sense.

I just came upon a hub so I thought I could use this along with an extra
computer and a couple of networks cards to create my own network.

My current setup is a DSL  connection .  I connect three PCs (some
linux some win 98) to the back of the DSL modem.  I pay a bit (not much
really) for extra IP addresses.

I would like to connect from the DSL modem to the linux box (I'm using RH
7.2) which would act as a firewall and then connect to the hub where I would
plug in the other computers.  I'm not currently planning to run a web server
or connect in from outside just really want to share internet and communicate
locally.

To point me in the right direction, what is what I want to do called?  I've
looked at some HOWTOs etc...

Bridge+Firewall+DSL
IP Masquerade
Also saw something called LRP (Linux Router Project)

Thanks,

Greg