multiple seriousity on Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:10:13 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Volunteer Opportunities

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Naresh Reddy wrote:
> Are there any volunteering opportunities around our area, that deal with
> computers? My friend and I are interested in volunteering, and we aren't
> sure if there any any good organizations that need help.

Probably not as interesting as the other opportunity mentioned...

But, we have a hardware evaluation opportunity.

CARP is my non-profit that you may have heard me speak about.. url in my
.sig

We've been offered space in the building of a local non-profit community
center (HEROs, INC.) which is at 17th & Tioga - they apparently aquired a
bunch of computing and office equipment in an attempt to get their needs
met, and build a computer lab.. well, they have the computer lab, but now
we have a lot of unused equipment that we must move out of the space. .

There are: a lot of monitors, some terminals/monitors, a number of fax
machines, a few laser printers, a number of 24 pin dot matrix printers, a
few computers, lots of miscellaneous, lots of networking cable. a bunch of
floppy disk cases, etc.

I've been given almost free reign to oversee the distribution/disposal of
the materials in the undeveloped portion of the building which has until
now been used as storage.

What we need to do:

 evaluate the equipment, determine what is good

Some of it might be kept, maybe to set up another lab, but most likely,
it will be:
donated to another nonprofit that rebuilds computers
sent home with any interested parties
sent to the local computer recycler
sent to the landfill

There is ample opportunity for an interested person to come in and
create/influence an educational program, or to build a lab/influence a
program of one's own choosing.  [i.e. if you want to educate kids about
building/rebuilding/recycling computers, make a BSD, Linux, or Networking
education program, etc.]

There will be ample opportunity to take stuff home, if you see something
you like (that isn't already claimed).

Any other questions? Interest? Drop me an email.

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com
Creative Artists Resource Project: www.slackware.com/~msimons/arts/reuse/