Kuzman Ganchev on Sun, 17 Feb 2002 14:42:46 -0500

Re: [PLUG] new to linux

Hi Andrew,

For me anyway (maybe not so much for other people), the leap is not as
much of a leap, but a journey. It's hard to start reading all the
documentation trying to learn everything - and really boring, as I
think you mentioned. The usual way to not get bored (again in my
experience) has been to start off with a short-term goal e.g. "get X
to run under ssh-agent so I don't have to type my password in every 5
minutes when I want to log in to a remote machine". A long-term goal
would be more like "learn how to administrate a unix system" (very
long term)

You mentioned a couple of things that you wanted to do: set up a web
server, and set up a network at home.

The obvious question is do you have DSL running under linux (or
whatever flavor of BSD you use) at home? If not, have you tried the
instructions in the linuxdoc DSL howto?

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/DSL-HOWTO/index.html

If you have done that, my suggestion would be to choose one thing you
want to do and take it one step at a time.

Kuzman