Paul on Sun, 17 Feb 2002 15:10:13 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Brainbench?

Executive summary: The less other people know about your
work, the more impressed they will be with your
certifications.

If a test is not monitored, the person who is supposed to be
taking the test could just have another person standing by
with the answers to the tough questions.  That would be the
same as claiming to be an expert without taking a test.  I
think this type of test is only good for self evaluation.

Closed-book tests are a good indicator of memory.

I think the true tests are what you've done on the job or at
home.  Like I said before, real work is done in open-book
conditions.  I'm not a hiring manager, but what I would look
for is someone who really likes their work and who has
obviously made a personal investment in it.

Certifications are good because they motivate people to
study.  They also make other people think you know what
you're doing.  But, from my experience, working with
computers is a process.  There is never a point where you
know it all.  I think other computer people understand that,
but don't expect HR to empathize.