eric@lucii.org on Sun, 17 Feb 2002 22:27:48 -0500

Re: [PLUG] MS Outlaws?

A monopoly is not necessarily 100%.
They don't have to BE a monopoly - just act like it.
Microsoft used it's overwhelming market share to perform monopolistic
activity.

They started early.  An issue that was _way_ before this case is the
"pinch" they put on the computer manufacturers back before  Windows
was 1.0 or 2.0.  They offered the computer manufacturers a lower price
on DOS if they would purchase a license for ALL the computers they made
- *even if it did not have MS-DOS installed*!

This effectively added the cost of MS-DOS onto everybody's alternative
software.
  How about QuarterDeck's Deskview?  Gone.
  How about DR-DOS?  Gone.
  How about X windows on the desktop in corporate America?

Dell and some of the other companies tried Linux workstations but
could not keep it up.  Even VA Linux Systems has dropped "Linux" from
their name.

Now, to be fair, each of the competitors made mistakes.  The computer
manufacturers bear some of the blame too.  Of course, once one of them
accepted the agreement then they all were pressured to do the same to
keep their prices competitive.  Hell, even the dumba** customers
deserve some of the blame.  None of this excuses MS.

Not that I'm a knee-jerk supporter of the government's position.
Far from it.  In my estimation, it's liars against liars.
Too bad there weren't two losers in the case. :-P

Eric