Bill Jonas on Mon, 18 Feb 2002 19:20:12 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Domain names...

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 11:15:04AM -0500, Doug Crompton wrote:
>  I received quite a few solicitations from other registers that will 'take
> over' all of my accounts. I am a little scared to do that but tempted. Any
> ever do a wholesale switch?

I've never had a domain registered with NetSol, but I've heard nightmare
stories about transferring domains away from them.  If I were you, I
wouldn't listen to me about that but instead go by what Greg said (as he
seems to have experience dealing with them).

As for myself, I have used Gandi (<http://www.gandi.net/>) for all my
registrations (four so far).  They're very reasonably priced at 12 euros
per year, they include domain parking, HTTP redirection, mail
forwarding, and probably other things at no additional charge in the
fee.  They do com, net, org, and info, with plans to add biz and name in
the near future.

The thing I probably love best about them is their registration
agreement, located at <http://www.gandi.net/contract.en.txt>.  After
some legal-type definitions, the meat of the agreement starts out by
saying, "1.  The Client owns the Domain Name registered. Gandi simply
acts on the Client's behalf."

For a comparative look at some of the various registrars, see
<http://www.domainnamebuyersguide.com/>.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html