Mike Leone on Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:53:01 -0500

Re: [PLUG] notebook without options

> I've been looking for the option on Dell's website (as
> mentioned earlier) to get rid of the Windows OS on a
> laptop in the customize section but can't find it. We
> are still forced to pay the "Micorosoft Tax"?? I
> should like to see an option that says "No OS  - $200"
> or something instead of just picking between XP pro
> and XP home. Maybe Im missing something??

The only fact you're missing is what a simple one - what you'd like the reality to be ... isn't. :-(

Yes, it should not be that way. But it is, at least as far as Dell is concerned.
(For a while, you could order desktops with Linux; no more. You *might* still be able to order servers with Linux. Laptops were never offered with Linux, IIRC)

I know they used to offer their server line with no OS; I bought a couple that way a couple years ago. I think they only offered that on their server products, tho.