Arthur S. Alexion on Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:20:12 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Zaurus SL5000D - Linux PDA

At 09:28 AM 2/19/2002 -0500, ian reinhart geiser wrote:

On Tuesday 19 February 2002 09:17 am, Arthur S. Alexion wrote about [PLUG]
Zaurus SL5000D - Linux PDA:
> Has anyone had a chance to check out this PDA running embedded linux?  I
> think it is a Sharp hardware, Trolltech OS thing.
>
> Blackberry-like keyboard, little trackball, OK & Cancel buttons.
>
> Looks nice on paper.  Has anyone tried it?

it is okay to use, but is randomly responsive
basicly think WinCE jordania or Ipaq with a keyboard.

I was wondering -- ergonomically speaking -- whether it had a stylus and whether switch in back and forth between having to use the stylus to perform "mouse functions" and the keyboard for entering text was a pain in your hand (which isn't a desk).

eats batteries like popcorn, but if you have the cash it is a great toy
sharp has had a long history of great PDAs that never take off, so maby this
will be there chance.  i doubt it since Palm is comming out with there new OS
in the spring that can do all this, plus run your old palm software...

The review I read said that it ran GCC Linux compiled programs (but didn't give any examples). Is this true? Is it useful?

Art Alexion                                 mailto:arthur@alexion.com
Arthur S. Alexion LLC                          http://www.alexion.com
                            ---<>---
Click