Michael Leone on Wed, 20 Feb 2002 04:30:13 +0100

[PLUG] Hopefully simple Perl CPAN question

OK, I'm trying to install Amavis, which is a set of perl scripts that
call out an antivirus program to scan email. And it's written in Perl.
And I know nothing about perl, but I figure even I can follow the
install directions.

Figure again. :-)

background: using Debian unstable. So I set up CPAN (using "perl -MCPAN
-e shell"), and I answer all the config questions. Then I go to install
the first required perl module - Unix::Syslog. And it fails:

Ccc -c  -DDEBIAN -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include
-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPERL_POLLUTE  -O2
-DVERSION=\"0.98\"
-DXS_VERSION=\"0.98\" -fPIC -I/usr/lib/perl/5.6.1/CORE  Syslog.c
make: cc: Command not found
make: *** [Syslog.o] Error 127

I figured I had a missing "cc" alias for gcc, so I exited from perl;
made one ("alias cc=gcc"), and went back into perl, and tried to install
again. No good; same error. I presume it's something mindlessly simple,
but I guess I'm less than mindlessly stupid, because I don't know where
to go next. :-)

Anyone?

--

Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>    ICQ: 50453890     AIM: MikeLeone

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>