Paul . L . Snyder on Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:01:36 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Mandrake 8.1?

On 19-Feb-2002, "W. Chris Shank" <shankwc999@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I went with grub, any idea how to remove this option from grub?
>
>On Wednesday 20 February 2002 10:21 am, you wrote:
>> > How many folks are using Mandrake 8.1? How do you like it? In an
attempt

>> I use it. Mostly, I like it. It has good out-of-the-box support for a
>> number of peripherals I use (USB printer/scanner). They keep relatively
>> up-to-date for hardware. I like the CUPS printing system they use.
>>
>> And if you use KDE, it is quite easy for Windows users to move over.
>>
>> > (not sure why - harddrake sees it but I can't mount it). It seems that
it
>> > has to do with using the devfs.
>>
>> You can turn off devfs - which is problematic for a number of people -
by
>> putting "devfs=nomount" option in LILO..

Edit '/boot/grub/menu.lst'.  In the section you use for startup,
there'll be a line that looks something like:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2

You should be able to simply add the kernel parameter to the end
of this line, like this:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 devfs=nomount

If you want to try this out before making the change, you can just
hit 'e' at the boot menu, while over your startup option - you can
then make non-persistent changes to your grub startup config.
(You can also type grub commands directly - read 'info grub' for
the skinny.)  Or, you could set up multiple menu entry sections
with different kernel params, of course.

Grub is MUCH, MUCH better than Lilo.

pls