eric@lucii.org on Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:42:35 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Mandrake 8.1?

I, too, have used Mandrake 8.1 on my company workstation and the
company laptop too.  I really liked it - except for two things - one of
which was already mentioned.  devfs.  barf.  Could not add a cdrw
without GREAT pain.  Still only worked half-assed.

I also tried to install java from IBM rpm's, not mandrake rpm's which
I could not find.  Well, it hosed my rpm somehow (discussion was on
this list about a month ago.)  rpm gave me segfault for damn near every
thing I tried.  Never fixed it - just re-built the system with SuSE 7.3
Pro.  All my complaints were fixed.

My daughter uses SuSE - no problem - she loves it.
My wife - well she's not really computer literate so I don't ask her to
test out Linux installations :-D

I have the MDK 8.2 beta - I may try that on the laptop as an upgrade.

Overall, I'm still positive on Mandrake.

Eric