Mike Leone on Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:10:31 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Mandrake 8.1?

> I think that the mistake I made was to use stock
> sources, rather than using a Mandrake kernel srpm,
> compiling, and then installing the kernel via rpm.

I use stock kernels; haven't had a problem.

> I know that cooker, at least, has some alsa support
> packages - you'll still probably need to figure out
> how to do a kernel compile in a Mandrakey fashion.

No, just download the ALSA stuff, and install the resulting modules in the /lib/modules/{kernel.versio}/kernel/ALSA directory.
ALSA is not a kernel patch; it's a kernel module. Since you're not using Mdk's sources, it just means that you have to compile the kernel, and then ALSA, yourself (2 steps). With Mdk sources, it's only 1 compile (but a kernel close to twice as large, as well - over 1M v 660K, in my case).