Paul . L . Snyder on Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:05:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Mandrake 8.1?

On 20-Feb-2002, "Adam Schaible" <taxindeath@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> XFree86 v. 3.3.6. Also a glitch I haven't been able to
> figure out - no sound at all. Supposedly there are
> compiled kernel modules in the distro that support my
> soundchip (Crystal CS4232) but the sound server
> refuses to recognize them. I've thought about
> compiling a kernel with ALSA or OSS but after reading
> what Paul and Ian are saying here maybe I should hold
> back on that.

I think that the mistake I made was to use stock
sources, rather than using a Mandrake kernel srpm,
compiling, and then installing the kernel via rpm.
I know that cooker, at least, has some alsa support
packages - you'll still probably need to figure out
how to do a kernel compile in a Mandrakey fashion.
If you go that route, things shouldn't break
horribly.

It's probably worth a try.

Paul