Adam Schaible on Wed, 20 Feb 2002 12:08:08 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Mandrake 8.1?

I agree that Mandrake 8.1 is nice right outside of the
box. Easiest installation yet. I've been using it on
my dualboot Pentium II for three months and I
especially like the newer release of KDE that comes
with this distro. (The one where you can make KDE look
like OS X ^_^ ) Another thing I really like about 8.1
was the built in "Roaring Penguin" DSL support that I
had configured and running in just half an hour. Does
anyone has any recommendations on how to make my box
more secure? I don't have an extra box to use as a
firewall/router for masquerading, I was wondering if
there was anything I could set up right on my
workstation.

Two minor gripes about the install that are really
just related to the fact that my machine is old - it
*reeeeally* wanted to have me use XFree86 v. 4 which
made my primitive video card totally freak out. It
took a little time and some advice from PLUG people
but everything was working fine once I downgraded to
XFree86 v. 3.3.6. Also a glitch I haven't been able to
figure out - no sound at all. Supposedly there are
compiled kernel modules in the distro that support my
soundchip (Crystal CS4232) but the sound server
refuses to recognize them. I've thought about
compiling a kernel with ALSA or OSS but after reading
what Paul and Ian are saying here maybe I should hold
back on that.

-Adam Schaible