Doug Crompton on Wed, 20 Feb 2002 20:30:14 +0100

[PLUG] DNS question

I have been experimenting with virtual hosts to apache. I currently use
static IP's. Fortunately in my current operation I have plenty of them.
That may not always be the case so I want to start using virtual and fully
understand it. I currently have full control over and do my own DNS.

Everything I read talks about using CNAMES when doing virtual hosting. I
cannot seem to get this to work and I do not fully understand it.

What I have been able to get work locally is defining the new domains in
seperate bind resource records pointing to the apache server IP. I also
add an FW <fn> to sendmail.cf with an appropriate external file defining
the domains I accept mail for. Then also an entry in the alias file to
forward the mail for the virtual domain to the right place. This works.

So my question is.. is this an alright way to do it? Why do I need CNAMES?
Once I do the above and load it I can (locally) access the new domain
name, send mail, attach to port 80 etc. I have not yet registered the name
but once I do I expect that externally I will be able to do the same.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *