Sam Hunting on Wed, 20 Feb 2002 21:40:20 +0100

[PLUG] shell newbie has question

At least I think it's the shell.

What I want to do is create a "magic" directory, such that when a
document gets put into it, that document is processed in a certain way
by an application.

It sounds to me like what I want is a "listener" that lives in the
background, detects when a "new" file (or alias to a file) is added to
the directory, sends the file (or aliased file) off to the processor,
and then marks the file or alias in such a way that it is no longer
percieved as new.

Is there a name for what I want to do, and can someone point me to some
sample code that shows how to do it? (The kind of code where, since I
am a newbie, there's little danger of erasing my hard disk or some
such...)

Many thanks!

S.

=====
<!-- Topic map consulting:          www.etopicality.com
     Open source topic map toolkit: www.goose-works.org

"A human is a topic map's way of making another topic map."

-->