JP Toto on Wed, 20 Feb 2002 22:10:25 +0100

Re: [PLUG] shell newbie has question

Sounds like you want a cron job that runs like once a
minute, checks the directory for a file with
appropriate properties to see if it's new, then send
it off to be processed. Im sorta novice too so you
might want to waite for a couple more responses :-)

Cheers.  - JP

--- Sam Hunting <sam_hunting@yahoo.com> wrote:
> At least I think it's the shell.
>
> What I want to do is create a "magic" directory,
> such that when a
> document gets put into it, that document is
> processed in a certain way
> by an application.
>
> It sounds to me like what I want is a "listener"
> that lives in the
> background, detects when a "new" file (or alias to a
> file) is added to
> the directory, sends the file (or aliased file) off
> to the processor,
> and then marks the file or alias in such a way that
> it is no longer
> percieved as new.
>
> Is there a name for what I want to do, and can
> someone point me to some
> sample code that shows how to do it? (The kind of
> code where, since I
> am a newbie, there's little danger of erasing my
> hard disk or some
> such...)
>
> Many thanks!
>
> S.
>

> =====
> <!-- Topic map consulting:
> www.etopicality.com
>      Open source topic map toolkit:
> www.goose-works.org
>
> "A human is a topic map's way of making another
> topic map."
>
> -->

> http://sports.yahoo.com

=====