Joe Coyle on Fri, 22 Feb 2002 04:13:26 -0500

[PLUG] sound server problem

I'm running Mandrake 8.1.  I installed from scratch with a PCI sound card,
which seems to be properly recognized according to HardDrake.  When I log
onto my KDE desktop I get this message:

Sound Server Warning Message:  Can't set real-time scheduling priority.  You
need to run artswrapper as root or setuidroot.  This means that you will
likely not be able to produce acceptable sound.

In fact, I get no sound at all.  I tried this on a console:
[root@linuxbox@iterativemedia joe]# artswrapper
>> running as realtime process now (priority 50)
/tmp/mcop-joe is not owned by user

Can someone give me an outline of how to troubleshoot this?  I am very new to
Linux so, please, be gentle. :^)  Thank you!

/Joe