Bill Jonas on Fri, 22 Feb 2002 06:40:12 +0100

Re: [PLUG] really basic file system question

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 07:15:07PM -0500, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> In that event, what would you use?

An extra disk, maybe.  The tools don't exist.  I think someone started
on an experimental ext2 defragmenter, but I don't think it ever got past
the experimental stage.

I just tried a Google search on 'ext2 defragmenter' and it returned
<http://www.unixguide.net/linux/faq/5.05.shtml> as the first result.  In
fact, most of the top results (at
<http://www.google.com/search?q=ext2%20defragmenter>) are variations of
the same couple of statements.  It looks like there's also a Debian
package, as well:

defrag - ext2, minix and xiafs filesystem defragmenter

Package information page at
<http://packages.debian.org/stable/admin/defrag.html> for stable and
<http://packages.debian.org/unstable/admin/defrag.html> for unstable.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html