Beldon Dominello on Thu, 21 Feb 2002 23:40:13 +0100

Re: [PLUG] really basic file system question

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:

> I have never knowingly stumbled on a disc defragmenter for ext2 or ext3
> systems.  Is disc fragmentation an issue? if so, does a defragmenter exist?

No, it really isn't.  The only issue you'll see is that on file systems which
only have a few very large files (database filesystems for instance) the fsck
comes up with something like 90% fragmented.  That's simply an illusion due to
the formula it uses to figure out disk fragmnentation, which assumes a more or
less average  and uniform file size.  This is not, obviously, always the case.

In general, the less direct mucking about you do with the filesystem (this is
true of all filesystems except maybe FAT), the fewer problems you'll have.

--
DISCLAIMER - This text was written on the road and may contain errors of fact,
tact, and decency due to the cumulative effects of cabin fever, emotional