Jon Galt on Fri, 22 Feb 2002 20:20:13 +0100

[PLUG] worms vs viruses

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Mike Leone wrote:

> I believe there was a proof of concept virus for Unix once, but most
> Unix security issues are either holes, buffer overflows, worms or Trojan
> horses. Not self-replicating things like viruses.

By the way, what exactly is a worm anyway?  I believe a Trojan is a
program that you know you're running, but it has malicious code that you
didn't know about built into the code itself.  (As opposed to malicious
code that has attached itself to the victim program.)

I suppose a Trojan could spawn a virus, or transmute into a virus,  But
worms I just don't know about.

Wayne