W. Chris Shank on Sat, 23 Feb 2002 00:42:18 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux/UNIX OS choice

I really wasn't too happy with Mandrake 8.1. In-fact, I recently queried this
forum about it because I thought it would be easier to use than RH7.2 which
had been originally setup as more of a server. I decided to revert back to
RH7.2 and just installed more of the gui stuff. After updating via up2date
and setting my wife's KDE icons to the Win2K icon set, she (and I) can hardly
tell the difference between that and windows. KOffice icons were changed to
Word icons and she has been using it without complaint (new docs - haven't
tackled the .doc compatibility problem yet). Anyway, I really liked Mandrake
until the 8 series and I would agree that it seemed babish. RH always seemed
to thin with GUI tools and Mandrake seemed to treat me like a moronic windows
user. I will also admit that SuSE 7.2 was really good - it seemed to have a
default workstation install that was more business-like, not home user
oriented. However, I had to give it up since 7.2 wouldn't install on my sony
vaio and I refuse to repurchase the professional version of their latest.They
should take a hint from M$ in that regard and offer ISO's to people who have
purchased earlier versions.

Bottom line, I would start with Mandrake until you get comfortable with how
linux works, then try another distro that allows you to see what is really
happening under the hood.

-chris