multiple seriousity on Sat, 23 Feb 2002 04:51:18 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux/UNIX OS choice

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Andrew Puschak wrote:
> I started using the Linux/UNIX based operating system on BSD because "that's
> what everyone was using" at least the one or two computer people I know. I
> got nowhere fast and went to Redhat. I've been hearing about Mandrake and

I'm surprised people haven't touched on this yet..

Anyways, you stated on a BSD (which one? FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD,
BSD/OS? Mach? etc..) technically BSD is a UNIX, and Linux is a UNIX-Like
system.

BSD is good, however, due to the critical mass of Linux it is not as easy
to find information and help on BSD as it is on Linux, just due to the
sheer numbers.

It really depends upon your approach... and your goal... do you really
want to learn how to do things? Understand the basics? Know what is going
on? You may benefit from something like Slackware, Linux-from-scratch, or
lots of other possibilities.

Well, you've already moved to Redhat Linux, whixh is one of the
supposed-to-be-simple-for-a-newbie-but-not-really Linux Distros, and
you're still asking this question, so I would guess you are not happy.

You *could* go to Mandrake, which I think attempts to be
even-easier-than-redhat, and as people said was originally based on
Redhat.

And of course, there is the apt-get-download-for-lazy-bums (not an insult,
I am a lazy bum myself. :P) debian which has a lot of popularity.

The real question is... what are your goals? what is your interest? where
are you coming from?

Slackware, BTW, is the most BSD-ish of the Linux distributions. (I hope
that doesn't scare you away. :P)

BTW, I'm really curious where you are/were where "everybody was using BSD"

Really the best way to get anywhere, is to start somewhere, and try to
read how-tos, books, and other documentation to get where you want to go.
Also very helpful is of course, webpages, and groups like PLUG, but even
better are channels on IRC especially irc.openprojects.net which is geared
towards the opensource community.  so...

my suggestions for any newbie (I assume you're beyond this point already.)
1) install linux,
2) get the modem and your internet connection working under linux
3) make an account other than root
4) log on your internet connection with that account
5) use ircii to log onto irc.openprojects.net and start trying to
configure your system, learn things, getting real-time help and learning
along the way.. soon enough you will find yourself helping other newbies

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com
Creative Arts Resource Project http://www.slackware.com/~msimons/arts/reuse/