Michael F. Robbins on Mon, 25 Feb 2002 07:53:21 -0500

Re: [PLUG] KDE taskbar lost after SO install

On Sun, 2002-02-24 at 22:47, Joe Coyle wrote:
> I'm using Mandrake 8.1 with KDE desktop.  Right I installed Star Office,
> the "taskbar" at the bottom of the KDE desktop disappeared.  Any ideas on
> how to troubleshoot this?  Thanks.

What version of Star Office?  It really doesn't matter, so just read on.
The "taskbar", also known as the KDE Panel, is a program named "kicker".

Take a look at your logs: /var/log/messages, XFree86.0.log (if one
exists), etc.  If you've been starting X via KDM (as you probably are
with Mandrake), switch to runlevel 3 ("telinit 3").  Then log in at the
console, and type "startx".  You may be able to see error messages from
there.  To get back to your KDM login prompt, get out of X and back to a
root console, and do "telinit 5".

If you're up to go diving in config files, take a look in:
	~/.kde/share/config/kickerrc   <-- Make a backup first...
Also, the StarOffice install puts applinks (the K Menu) in
	~/.kde/share/applnk

Anyway, it sounds like its probably failing (ungracefully) on a
bad/missing icon.  Yuck.  Although I don't completely buy this excuse
since you say that the kicker isn't showing up at all...

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com