Nicholas Vettese on Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:04:18 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux/UNIX OS choice

Also, I think that if one wants to go into IT, pick rh as a distro. I
personally, don't like it, but it is standardizing (except at IBM and HP).
For most people who don't know about computers rh == linux so it's good to
know the basics.

One other thing. Often I find on the surface, the distros look the same.

I am with you here. RedHat has seem to become the Defacto Standard in Business where Linux is concerned. I too started with RH (version 5.1) and tried SuSE, Caldera, Debian, Slackware, even TurboLinux and Mandrake, and I always come back to RH.

If I put kde on a desktop (no vendor icons) of debian or rh, it will be
the same for the users. Many tools gui admin tools are available under
debian, but many people don't know that b/c people keep saying debian is
harder to use, and b/c hard core debianites actually believe that a human
readable text file is easier to learn than wading through menus. Of
course, YMMV. I'm not bashing any distro here. I started w/ Mandrake (and
m68k debian).

Debian is no harder to use than RH. The only reason I belive people claim it is harder is due to the differences in the installers. The directories may not be identical, but any person with a knowledge of Linux will be able to figure it out. Not to move off topic, but I have a hard time understanding why the LSB preferred RPM over Apt. Makes no sense to me.

Thanks,
Nick

South Jersey Linux User's Group
http://sjlinux.org