Paul on Tue, 26 Feb 2002 08:00:11 +0100

Re: [PLUG] fire wall question(s)

> > "But still I suppose that if you had a dedicated server, say
> > for HTTP, then your machine has no business listening to
> > anything except HTTP coming in on port 80.  If you set it up
> > so that it responds only to HTTP on port 80, then a firewall
> > between it and the Internet could not add anything but delay.
> > Assuming, that is, that I know what I'm talking about."

A firewall could help protect against denial of service attacks by dropping
packets from attacking computers.  A firewall could also block everything except
OUTBOUND traffic on port 80, in the unlikely event that the system is
compromised and it tries to send information out.  For example, one time I got
cracked and the person e-mailed out some information through port 25.