Paul on Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:53:25 -0500

Re: [PLUG] fire wall question(s)

> Thanks for all the good reasons I can give him for the general case, but
> I'm wondering if in this particular scenario, maybe he's right?

Let him try running without a firewall and we'll see what happens.

How speed sensitive is his HTTP server that a very small delay would be a
problem?  Actually, I don't think there should be much of a delay at all if
the rule to allow HTTP in and out is at the top of the rule set.  Maybe he
should be more concerned about the size of graphics files on the Web pages.

As for scanning software, try nmap with nmapfe (http://www.insecure.org or
check a Red Hat CD), Nessus (http://www.nessus.org), or LANguard (if you have
Windows NT or 2000,  http://www.gfi.com/languard/lanscan.htm).

Nessus is nice because it not only tells you which ports are open, it provides
a lot of information about the applications behind the ports and exploits used
against them.  It is a security scanner as opposed to just a port scanner (but
it does make use of nmap).