Michael Leone on Wed, 27 Feb 2002 04:10:10 +0100

Re: [PLUG] fire wall question(s)

On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 20:38, Jon Galt wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Mike Leone wrote:
>
> > I can open ports on my firewall, but not have daemons listening on those
> ports, nor forwarded to any other machine.
>
> And what level of hardware or software rejects traffic when a port is
> closed?

I don't understand - what level? What "level" are you referring to?

> > Well, consider: whether or not a port is open, or listened to, or
> whatever ... if I decide to send 400 million packets at you, on port 53,
> say ... unless you have some upstream way of blocking those packets, your
> line going to be flooded with incoming packets. Nothing else will be able
> to get in (effectively speaking), nor can you get out, because your
> bandwidth is being chewed up by all those incoming packets. Even if you're
> not processing them, they're still coming in..
>
> Ok, that makes sense.  And it seems to apply whether the port is opened or
> closed, listened to or not...?

Correct.

--

Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>    ICQ: 50453890     AIM: MikeLeone

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>