Greg Lopp on Wed, 27 Feb 2002 13:08:54 -0500

Re: [PLUG] IBM Thin Client and Red Hat Linux Networking

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 12:30:13PM -0500, Jing Teng wrote:
> Hi,
> I have some IBM NetVista 2800 Thin Client, and a Red Hat 7.2 box. I can ping
> any of them from a Windows machine. But IBM NetVista box can't ping the Linux
> box, and the Linux box can't ping the NetVista either.
>
> I used to use 3c905B TX on the Linux box, somebody recommended replace the it,
> and then I replaced the 3c905B with an Intel NIC, but it didn't solve the
> problem.
>
> I have a Symantic firewall, which is  also running Linux. The firewall box has
> the exact same problem with NetVista. So I guess that Linux might have some
> security features on by default which refuses the request from NetVista.  Does
> anybody have any suggestion on this?

Linux, or any firewall, can be configured to ignore pings or any
other type of network traffic, but it is unlikely that it would,
by default, reject traffic based on source OS.  I'd think the
problem lies somewhere else.

1) Could you provide us w/ some ASCII art of your network layout?
   Where are the Symantic firewall, RH box, Windows box, and
   Netvista in relation to each other.  Any additional hubs,
   routers, switches?

2) What are their respective IPs, netmasks, default gateways?
   Feel free to obscure the upper bytes if you feel the need.

3) Does anything show up in /var/log/messages when you ping the
   RH from the netvista?

Greg