kaze on Wed, 27 Feb 2002 23:56:14 -0500

RE: [PLUG] IBM Thin Client and Red Hat Linux Networking

:-) The IBM NetVista 2800 Thin Client OS itself has some limitation. NT4 had
some feature where the default gateway couldn't be an address in a different
subnet than the IP address, so maybe something like that. For ex. it is not
recognizing the /16 mask, and still acting like it has a /24 so that the
ping goes nowhere due to it seeing 10.1.2 and 10.1.4 as different subnets.

:-) Maybe the NetVista is using BOOTP and not DHCP and gets something wrong.

:-) Could the Windows boxes be pinging over NetBEUI (sp?) or something only
Windows boxes do?

:-) The mask or gateway on the NetVista is wrong and while the pings get
there - they don't get back. Greg Lopp <lopp@fuse.net> suggestion of looking
at the lights on the hub while pinging is a good idea.

RH			2K			NetVista
10.1.2.58/16	10.1.2.41/16	10.1.4.222/16
HUB: |---|--------------|-------------------|----

Switch: -|----|----------------------------------

            WAN link

Ethernet: ----|---------------------------------- 10.2 network

Close?
Where are 10.1.6.1 and 10.2.6.1?

==> From: "Jing Teng" <jteng@urbanout.com>
==> To: <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
==> Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:30:13 -0500
==> boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0004_01C1BF8A.8196F2B0"
==> Subject: [PLUG] IBM Thin Client and Red Hat Linux Networking
==>
==> Hi,
==>
==> I have some IBM NetVista 2800 Thin Client, and a Red Hat 7.2 box. I can
==> ping any of them from a Windows machine. But IBM NetVista box can't ping
==> the Linux box, and the Linux box can't ping the NetVista either.
==>
==> I used to use 3c905B TX on the Linux box, somebody recommended replace
==> the it, and then I replaced the 3c905B with an Intel NIC, but it didn't
==> solve the problem.
==>
==> I have a Symantic firewall, which is  also running Linux. The firewall
==> box has the exact same problem with NetVista. So I guess that Linux
==> might have some security features on by default which refuses the
==> request from NetVista.  Does anybody have any suggestion on this?
==>
==>
==> Thanks
==> Jim