Jing Teng on Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:41:27 -0500

Re: [PLUG] IBM Thin Client and Red Hat Linux Networking

Thanks again for your responses!

>>Background :  how are the boxes getting their IP configs? static,
dhcp?  What is a netvista?
All the boxes are using static IP. NetVista 2800 is a thin client, here
is a link: http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/netvista/thinclient.html

>> Are you certain that all boxes are configured to that netmask? It's a
basic question, but it could make the difference.
Yes, all the boxes are using same netmask.

>> I'll assume that your hub has lights, most do.  When you ping
   from the RH to the Win2K, the light for the sender and
   reciever flicker.  What about when you try to ping from RH to
   netvista?  How about the other way around?
Yes, the lights flicker either way.

>> Do you have any services running on the RH box?  ping, a type
   of icmp protocol, isn't working.  How about http, ftp, smtp,
   telnet, shh or something else that uses tcp or udp?
I have http on rh, only netvista can't get it.

>>where are your gateways?

RH			2K			NetVista
10.1.2.58/16	10.1.2.41/16	10.1.4.222/16
HUB: |---|--------------|-------------------|----

Switch: -|---------------------------------------

Rounter  |
10.1.6.1.|----|------------------------------------

            WAN link

Router	  |
10.2.6.1-|----|----------------------------------------

Switch---|-----------|--------------|---------------------
                  10.2.4.2/16     10.2.2.3/16
                  NetVista        Windows NT/98

>> Could the Windows boxes be pinging over NetBEUI (sp?) or something
only Windows boxes do?
I can ping RH and NetVista from AS400 box.

To make it simple, I disconnected the hub from the network, now we only
have three machines on the small network. I changed the ports the RH and
NetVista used on the hub. The problem is still here, W2k box has no
problem ping any of the other two. But RH and NetVista don't know each
other.