Darxus on Sat, 2 Mar 2002 01:00:14 +0100

[PLUG] 4 minute and 44 seconds to send email because I bound an extra IP

I recently noticed it was taking a rather long time to send email.  After
hitting "y" to send from mutt, it would sit there.  I discovered that
during this time, mutt was executing the command "sendmail -oem -oi --
darxus@chaosreigns.com" (where "darxus@chaoserigns.com" was the destination
address).  So I tried executing this command manually:

oblivion:~# echo test | /usr/bin/time sendmail -oem -oi -- darxus@chaosreigns.com
0.03user 0.02system 4:44.51elapsed 0%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

4 minutes and 44 seconds to send a blank email to a local address.  This is
not appropriate.  I tried some stracing, but didn't find anything.  I
started talking to Flint Heart <n-tropy@n-tropy.com> and Bill Jonas
<bill@billjonas.com> about it.  Each made a number of suggestions.  n-tropy
suggested I tail -f /var/log/mail.log while trying to send mail.  I can't
believe I hadn't tried that already.

I noticed the following line:

Mar  1 18:37:58 oblivion sendmail[30563]: gethostbyaddr(192.168.0.2) failed: 2

I found this very upsetting.  192.168.0.2 is an additional IP that I
recently bound to my NIC.  I added an entry for it to my /etc/hosts file,
and the delay went away.

4 minutes and 44 seconds to send every email because sendmail couldn't find
a name for an IP address it had no business with.

--
"The reasonable man adopts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adopt the world to himself.  Therefore all progress