gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 11 Mar 2002 19:00:15 +0100

Re: [PLUG] 4 minute and 44 seconds to send email because I bound an extra IP

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 06:53:57PM -0500, Darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> I noticed the following line:
>
> Mar  1 18:37:58 oblivion sendmail[30563]: gethostbyaddr(192.168.0.2) failed: 2
>
> I found this very upsetting.  192.168.0.2 is an additional IP that I
> recently bound to my NIC.  I added an entry for it to my /etc/hosts file,
> and the delay went away.

If you're going to use the RFC 1918 internal address set, you MUST
configure an internal DNS to provide reverse lookups properly, or
all kinds of daemons will have problems. Note that I say "internal
DNS", as you also really don't want to broadcast these mappings
between names and addresses, since it would allow an even slightly
clued attacker to map your internal network in a way you really
don't want him to.

This is expected behavior. Fix your DNS. (Or hack it with
/etc/hosts, which may be fine on your home network but wreaks havoc
on any sizeable network. I'm still cleaning up the mess from five or
six years of that bone-headedness here.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net